Monday, April 8, 2013

Open Spaces

"All is ripely quiet."
--Joan Anderson, A Year by the Sea


In an early stint of spring cleaning a few weeks ago, I cleared off the bulletin board in my bedroom, full as it was with favorite quotes, stick picture drawings, postcards and other relics that remind me of the things and people I love. I sorted through what I wanted to keep--things that whisper to me from the other side, items that remind me of what's deep and true and sacred to me--and put the rest away for safe keeping.

After the chosen few went back on the board, I moved them around a bit, deliberately leaving an open space for the next wave of inspiration. It was an act of faith. I sometimes fear the river of creativity has dried up whenever I am in an emotional drought, and I needed a visual reminder that I would yet uncover other trinkets of beauty, moments of synchronicity, further nourishment.


I've been taking pictures of open spaces lately. Seeing the world this way takes my heart back to a place of magic. I try to capture of glimmer of something pretty as a I snap a shot, but what really moves me is what is just outside the borders, what can't be seen. I'm delighted by the notion that my walk through the park, a quick shot of my front yard, a lazy day at the beach, can hint at the possibility of an enchanted forest, a secret garden, a deserted island.


It's exactly how I feel about my life right now. I like what's in the picture, but I'm most invigorated by the possibility of what's not in the shot.

3 comments:

  1. There is sweet music here that softer falls Than petals from blown roses on the grass, Or night-dews on still waters between walls Of shadowy granite, in a gleaming pass; Music that gentlier on the spirit lies, Than tir'd eyelids upon tir'd eyes; Music that brings sweet sleep down from the blissful skies. Here are cool mosses deep, And thro' the moss the ivies creep, And in the stream the long-leaved flowers weep, And from the craggy ledge the poppy hangs in sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to see you online writing again... enjoying the journey to freedom with you... enjoying see the new world open up before your eyes, feeling the joy and hope and gladness and love...

    Sweetness and peace, I wish for you this weekend... with lots of creative rest and a refreshing rain to nourish the sprouts yet to spring forth...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh. how the heck did I miss this?? I love your lens. how you see this world as wild and beautiful and that which is just out of grasp, out of view? worth loving, worth leaning into, worth believing in. you make me believe in it too. we are going to breath in these places together. in the flesh. we'll stand side by side the wind whipping around us as I grab your hand, and in one squeeze you'll know... I feel it too.

    ReplyDelete