Wednesday, February 29, 2012

*rise*

The year of the 12 is officially ON.

And true to form, my word caught me unaware.

I was winding down for bed. I was relaxed on the surface and yet I was also aware of a relentless anxiety hovering under the radar. I nervously shifted my weight on the couch and tried to shake it.

Then a soft Voice spoke ever so succinctly. It said, “This season in your life is very short. Rise above it. Rise above it.”

My heart warmed in my chest. My body grew quietly excited because I knew that *rise* would be my word for March.

I like the month of March. When I say its name, it sounds like an authoritative command: “MARCH!” So it's appropriate to have an equally strong word like "Rise" to guide me through it.

Rise is a lovely word too. When I say its name, I hear an invitation: "Rise, rise, rise." There's a gentleness to its overture, and it draws me in. I feel inquisitive, open, confident about where it will lead me.

Rise reminds me of the sacred rhythm of each day. The sun rising in the sky every morning is a physical manifestation of hope. It reminds me that the day is a blank canvas waiting to be painted. And I have choices; I can fill it with whatever strokes or colors I fancy.

Rise also reminds me to adjust my perspective. It is far too easy to get bogged down in details in the midst of the busy and the hard. Rise reminds to look at my problems from a different vantage point.

When I get a bird's eye view of things--and see this period of time in the context of my whole life--suddenly my struggles aren't so all consuming. What I am going through right now is just a blip on the screen. Rise reminds me of the bigger picture and helps me to refocus on what I am fighting for.

Rise is also the name of a filter on my favorite iphone app, Instragram. The "Rise" filter gives an ordinary photo an early-morning, sunbathed beauty. I can apply the same filter to my circumstances. I can choose to see life through the lens of hope.

Rise is a simple way to say it's a new day. A day worth rising to--with anticipation and tenacity. It's also a gentle way of saying, "Girl, get your butt in gear. Get up! Get out of bed. There's stuff to do!" And sometimes I need a little kick to get me going.

I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but I have my MARCHing orders. I will stand. I will get through. I will rise.

And you can too.

17 comments:

  1. Yes you will!! And as tough as times are right now, it IS just a blip, one you will look back upon to see how much you have grown.
    You are an amazing woman and I love seeing you MARCH through the fire.
    I love you Ang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sweet friend, you make my heart smile. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful and truly inspirimg!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zelda, how lovely it is to have you here. :)

      Delete
  3. It is amazing how long and then how short blips of life are. I really appreciate reading your perspective on this. You continue to amaze me and motivate me to be as vulnerable and honest in my own life. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How loooooooooooooooong and then how short... yes. Exactly. As usual, I am so thankful for your continued encouragement and support. Love you, my friend.

      Delete
  4. They sang, 'Rise, rise and shine
    The sun is coming in
    And the morning light is shining in
    Your eyes, rise and shine
    The day is coming on
    And you know the night is gone so rise'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That verse reminds me so much of Josiah. It's perfect. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. yep. i love when the night is gone too...

      Delete
  5. I love this - I think it's the perfect word. :) Hugs to you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a word I want to fold around my soul-sisters. You can have it too. :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful Angela! You are an amazing writer. Rise also reminds me of the song my mom would sing to us, and now a song I sing to my boys. It goes like this, "Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory. Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory. RISE and SHINE and give God the glory, glory children of the LORD!" ((hugs))
    ~Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember singing that song many times as a little girl. I hadn't thought of it when I wrote this... thanks for reminding me. :)

      Delete
  7. rise has such a softness, and such a commanding strength. great word choice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Commanding strength." Yes; I like that.

      Delete
  8. Angela, Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my blog- it encouraged me and blessed me. Nice to "meet" you, too. Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasure to land there the other day and get a peak into your lovely heart.

      Delete