Friday, October 28, 2011

When You Feel Like Quitting

"Who is this coming up from the wilderness, leaning on her beloved?" (Song of Songs 8:5)

* * * * *

Sometimes a broken heart speaks in a whisper, sometimes through muffled cries, and sometimes through loud demands.

Tonight my broken heart cried out with perfect clarity: "Encourage me!" So I tried to do just that.

In true 2011 style, I googled that exact request, and the Internet answered back.

I landed on a site that had a video about Derek Redmond--an Olympic athlete who suffered a terrible disappointment during his 400-meter race.

Just 150 yards in (less than half-way through), he tore his hamstring and fell to the ground in pain.

In the midst of his agony and defeat, Derek made a courageous decision.

He rose to his feet and began hobbling along the track, determined to finish the race.

Suddenly, an older man emerged on the field. It was Derek's father.

He put his son's arm around his neck. The young runner sobbed, leaned in, and buried his head in his papa's chest.

The two of them slowly walked the track together. Derek was in obvious pain, yet he continued to move forward.

And Derek finished the race that day.

The footage I watched is accompanied by a song (now playing on my blog) that was an anthem to me 7 years ago during a very pivotal time in my life. As soon as it began, my broken heart breathed deeply and gave up the tears it has been holding back all day.

I needed to hear that anthem again. And I needed to be reminded of this:

The journey through the Unknown isn't about speed--it's not a race--but it is important to finish.

Even if I am tempted to turn back and run the other way, even if I feel like I can't hack it in the tough terrain, and even if I trip and fall, there's always Someone here to walk alongside me so I can keep going... until my time here is done.

4 comments:

  1. Angela,
    Your honesty ... Your vulnerability ... Your determination ... continue to encourage my own life as I walk through challenges. I am inspired by your bravery. I look forward to seeing you soon. Hug!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara, your encouragement is consistently perfectly timed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouraging post. There are a lot of things I feel like quitting right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep going, Jenny. Even if you have to move with a limp...

    ReplyDelete